Hey guys! This is gonna be my way of tracking my trip here in Scotland and I hope it helps everyone get insight into my life abroad. Miss everyone and hope you enjoy!

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Update

Hey all! Sorry it's been a while! Sadly enough...not really anything exciting has been going on...I had to do my first project for one of my history classes.  Needless to say, 15 minutes on Labor party politics in Scotland at the turn of the century? NOT as interesting as I thought it might be. In fact? Never come across a more dull, harder to research topic in my four years of school so far...but it's alright. I managed to scrape a B3 (whatever the heck that means lol) and Mom and Dad: "lol" means laugh out loud...but in reference to you guys, it could only mean "lots of love"...I miss you guys like crazy!!
Anywho...had my first too-much-to-drink experience here and good lord I am not doing that again. Luckily I was with friends that took care of me...I was with my friend Becca and someone in her building tried to commit suicide and it got us to talking cause it was the five year anniversary of her two friends dying and I was telling her about Shane :( It got us both pretty down and of course drinking never helps that situation.
Well the drinking fiasco consequently TOTALLY threw off my sleep schedule cause I slept through the whole next day and woke up at 9pm so for about a week I was dragging through classes and sleeping during the day and staying up all night...and I finally just got it back in line.  I have redoubled my efforts to getting back in shape so I can test for a fire department when I get home.  It has cheered me up quite a bit and made me sleep a lot better.  Haha I have to admit my dreams have been even more funky than usual...but I think it's because I watch a lot of crime shows like CSI and Castle and Criminal Minds before I go to sleep.  It's familiar and it makes me think of home so it helps :)
Anyway I just got back from Pilates and I must have eaten something that disagreed with my stomach cause I'm not feeling too hot but I'm gonna try to get some sleep and just relax after class tomorrow.
Tried some new things...I made a pretty good salad with what dressing I could find. Lol they don't have ranch or blue cheese here.  They don't have vinaigrette either...actually they have about 3 or 4 kinds of salad dressing and they are all caesar based-the food selection and flavor choice here is quite minimal.  In fact: Mom you would love this!! Guess what they put on salad more than anything else? MAYONNAISE  EWWWW it's disgusting.  Sorry dad I know how you love the mayo :) :) haha just kidding...I have had an excellent excuse to put garlic in nearly everything though. I am becoming quite the garlic connoisseur.
Here is a picture of the salad I made!

Oh and I almost forgot! This is a really good chicken marinade I made; I just cut up chicken and pan seared it with onions and garlic and then I baked it in a casserole dish with tomato chunks and marinara and more garlic and cheese!
And last week I walked around down Perth Road and took some pretty cool pictures.  If you follow Perth Road all the way down you get to the shopping centers.
 This is probably my favorite old building here...
 Haha! I just thought this was funny...for obvious reasons ;)

 A lot of stoops look like this here...double entry


 This is a little Thai place in btween two tall buildings...it looks so tiny
 Ok this I could not resist snapping a photo-really dude (yep that's a boy) not only does your little prepubescent butt have to hang out...you must rub it in my face with LEOPARD PRINT UNDIES?! I thought I was going to escape this disgusting habit but at least it's comforting to know that kids in the United States aren't the only sad little boogers that do this lol.
 I upsized my BigMac meal and this is what i got :( tiny drink and soggy fries...sigh...oh I can't wait to return home to the land of the real meal deal!
 This is a really cool Turkish place I saw while walking!



So after my walk I hung out with some of my new friends! Two of them are from America and one is from Canada...and the other is from Ireland :)





And we went to the student union building for some dancing... this is the downstairs club called Mono:
So that was pretty fun!


Anyway...I am going to write some more tomorrow and post my videos of riding in a double decker bus!! Right now though I'm not really feeling so good so I'm going to go to bed and hopefully feel better! I miss you all so much and hope everyone is doing great! Be very thankful for Safeway...Haggen...Costco...Albertsons...IGA...oh man so many amazing grocery stores!!  BE THANKFUL FOR PICKLES! I haven't had one since I got here :( xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment